Societies living in underserved areas face multifactorial problems — energy, water, climate, food, health, education, transportation, social development, economic growth, etc. — that are not amenable to separate single-discipline investigation but require collaboration between many types of expertise. Today, there is a consensus that the solutions of the problems facing people in underserved areas lie at the intersections of traditional disciplines. This is the essence behind Interdisciplinary Solutions (InterSol); an international conference dedicated to the advancement of interdisciplinary researches that address people’s needs in underserved areas. It is intended (1) to encourage innovative interdisciplinary research, development and education that focus on solving problems in underserved areas, and (2) to create an international research and development community around “interdisciplinary solutions”.
The third edition of the conference (InterSol2019) will be held on February 14-15, 2019 in Cairo, Egypt. This year’s main topics include (but not limited): Gender and Socio-Economic Development; Urban Development and Smart Cities for Africa; Agriculture, Water Resources, Food Security and Climate Change; and ICT as enabler. A detailed list of the covered themes is available below. We invite unpublished contributions and innovations that address these issues via an interdisciplinary approach.
We seek novel, innovative, and exciting work in areas including but not limited to:
Urban Development and Smart Cities: What for Africa?
- Awareness and Risk management system for cities sustainable development
- Urban disaster risk resilience: Translating the local to global
- Sustainable household sanitation and waste management
- Smart cities and intelligent buildings
- Climate change and adaptation in cities and local areas
- Rapid urbanization: the good, the bad, and the unknown
- Land uses and land management in African cities
- ICT and Energy in African smart cities
Agriculture, Food Security, Water Resources and Climate Change:
- Water resources: evaluation et exploitation
- Water reuse in agriculture: what practices to cope with drought?
- The agricultural value chains: innovations and sustainability
- Food and nutrition security
- Foreign direct investment and food security in Africa
- Plant bio-technology for climate change incidence
- Climate change and New economic opportunities in Africa
- Environmental migration
Socio-Economic Development and Gender:
- Partnership government, local communities and private sector
- People-oriented/centered development
- Youth/women engagement, ICT, water/energy
- Enabling pathways or barriers to sustainable development
- Community driven development strategies
- Filling the gender gap in resource limited environment
Energy for Urban and Rural Areas
- Energy efficiency and energy access
- Sustainability, energy and buildings
- Sustainable building technologies
- Policy outlook on sustainability in buildings
- Building integrated green energy
- Towards rural power/smart grid
ICT as Enabler (for economic development, smart cities, energy, agriculture, etc.)
- ICT and decision making in the face of uncertainty
- ICT and best practices for sustainable development
- Innovative connectivity solutions
- Interaction between classical scientific solutions and locally developed process and methods
- Harnessing agriculture, land administration and public financial management for ICT
All registered papers will be submitted for publication by Springer and made available through SpringerLink Digital Library.
Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in leading indexing services, Ei Compendex, ISI Web of Science, Scopus, CrossRef, Google Scholar, DBLP, as well as EAI’s own EU Digital Library (EUDL).
All accepted authors are eligible to submit an extended version in a fast track of:
Submitted papers will be peer-reviewed by an international team of experts and accepted papers will be invited to be discussed during the third annual meeting in February 14-15, 2019.
Full Paper Submission deadline
7 October 2018 15 November 2018 (NEW)
17 November 2018 10 December 2018
18 December 2018
Start of Conference
14 February 2019
End of Conference
15 February 2019